The Green Eyes



 "You will be my new best friend forever, " Anshu said to the ethereal being smiling down at him from the jasmine tree. Her flowing red locks were entwined with the leaves and petals around her, in stark contrast with her vivid green eyes. She was wearing a floaty blue thing, and when she spoke her pale pink lips parted ever so slightly.

"Of course I will be Anshu. That is what I am here for."


He was pleased. It had only been a week since they had moved to the huge new house, but he already hated it. Not because of its emptiness, but because of his parents. They were the reason they had to move in the first place. Everyone had suggested that a change in scenery would improve things, but they had only worsened. Tempers arrived at a short notice, and abuses flew like the pots and pans they threw at each other. They tried to avoid it in front of Anshu, but the vacant house made sure he heard it.


He had everything a 10-year-old could wish for, being born in the lap of luxury, but companionship was not something money could buy. He longed to speak to someone, anyone. Pets were not allowed, and servants were busy, so he decided to search for a friend. His feet had somehow led him to the jasmine tree, and his imagination had done the rest.



"So you see, I have nobody else to talk to. Now that you're here, I will tell you everything."

"And I'll be listening to everything," the being said.

"But what shall I call you?" Anshu asked.

"Anything you like, " she sweetly said.

He racked his brains, but since he had never come up with names, he thought of his first favourite thing. 

"I'll call you Twinkie!"

"That's a wonderful name."

And so started a relationship founded on the need to escape from reality.


As the fights began to escalate, Anshu found himself searching for the tree again and again. He would take his homework there and, with Twinkie's help, tried to forget his troubles. He really did tell her everything.

"I don't understand why they have to fight so much," Anshu complained. 

"It's because they doubt each other. They need to remember their love for one another."

"I don't think they know what love is."

"Of course they do, they love you."

"How do you know that?"

"All parents love their children."

"I don't think mine love me at all."



"There is this girl in my class that I like."

"Have you talked with her?"

"What's the use? We're probably going to shift again."


"D-I-V-O-R-C-E."

"Is that right?"

"Yes, it means they don't want to stay together anymore."

"Don't you worry. Everything will be fine."


"Mother says I am to live with her," Anshu cried. 

"That's exciting! You two will get to spend lots of time together."

"No, it's not! It means I'll have to go away from here, from you. From you." He cried more.

"Anshu, you are a grown boy now. You have to decide for yourself. And anyway, I'll be here whenever you need me."


Years later, standing again under that tree, he tried hard to recall her face, but all he could remember was her eyes.


Comments